24.4.11

Renaissance Festival 2010

     I went to the Renaissance Festival in November, 2010. I chose to go on the Highland themed weekend since I have ancestors from Scotland. I made my own costume with a green plaid that I liked. I had so much fun. It really was like stepping back in time. They set the place up so perfect and all the vendors talk in old English. The costumes are amazing. So many period specific outfits. This weekend was especially special because there were many people in real kilts. This is a real treat because kilts are hard to make and very expensive to buy. But there were so many people all decked out in authentic kilts and plaids, it was wonderful!
     We went to the stadium and watched shows were they reenacted jousting and royal processions.  There was also a guy who did a flame whip act at night that was so cool. All the vendors sell different kind of props you can buy. Some for play but also a lot of real stuff. Like swords and drinking skins and daggers. I really got into the spirit. I tried mead and ate an entire turkey leg and drank a whole bunch of ale! Two of my friends brought fake swords with them and they challenged each other to a duel. We went out to an open area and they fought. It gathered a bit of a crowd and was hilarious! I was the acting referee but I tried to stay out of it so I wouldn't get whacked.
     We went to the Greek area and they put on an awesome show with belly dancers and snakes and violins. It really was like something you would have experienced if you were visiting a Greek palace hundreds or even thousands of years ago. I had a great time. They really do an excellent job there and everyone really gets into the spirit. Everyone plays along and you really feel like you are in that period of time. Because it was the Scottish weekend the bagpipe band Tartanic was there. They put on a really good show at night right before the festival closed. It was so cool to see and hear such a beautiful array of music come from only a couple of primitive instruments. It was such a great show. I had a blast and can't wait to go again!


Feasting like a king! (No pun intended, lol)

Just a couple of sweet little lassies.

Just one word: awesome.

Tartanic!

Just say yes to bagpipes and kilts!

Belly dancers!

No comments:

Post a Comment